Criteria for Evaluation
Timeline for Annual Evalution
Similar to Department chairs, program and center directors undergo an annual evaluation. At the time of reappointment, the steering committee of the program or center asks the faculty to provide a vote of confidence for the director’s continued leadership.
Program Directors and Center Directors are evaluated according to criteria outlined in their individual letters of appointment. In general, program directors have the following responsibilities: organizing the faculty in support of the program; developing and presenting an appropriate curriculum; recruiting and admitting students; representing the program on and off the campus; and preparing budgets, course schedules and an annual report. In general, center directors are evaluated in accordance with the mission of the Center, whether research, community engagement, instruction, or a combination of any of these.
The timeline for the evaluation process begins in mid-spring and is completed by the end of the summer.
The Program Director provides the following to the Program Steering Committee and to the Dean:
- Goals for the current academic year
- Goals for the next academic year
- Criteria for the Evaluation of Director
April 1-May 15
Steering Committee evaluates the Director, according to the criteria and program guidelines.
May 15-July 31
(These dates may be adjusted according to chair/dean summer schedules.)
The dean meets with each of the directors, both for the purpose of director evaluation and assessment of the program/center. The dean has reviewed the following documents, in preparation for this meeting:
- Director goals for the current academic year
- Director’s Self-assessment
- Director’s goals for the next academic year
- Steering committee report
- Department evaluation (when appropriate)
- Written backup, as appropriate.
- Director’s Performance evaluation by the Steering Committee from the previous year
- Director’s performance evaluation by the Dean from the previous year (college will provide)
- Program annual report (college will provide)
- Criteria for evaluation
The Dean provides a written evaluation of each chair to the chair and to the Department
The Dean provides a written evaluation of each Director to the Director.
The Dean provides each steering committee a summary of the Director’s evaluation.
CLAS Process for Director Evaluation (Revised March 3, 2011) View